Ashwagandha is one herb that yields numerous health benefits. That’s why Ayurveda has crowned Ashwagandha as a Rasayan - or a tonic that’s good for your whole body.
Whether you take Ashwagandha in the morning or at night makes a huge difference. Similarly, how you take Ashwagandha really impacts the extent of Ashwagandha benefits on your health and wellness.
In this article, we have broken down: The best time to take Ashwagandha & How you can take Ashwagandha to maximize and improve your holistic wellbeing.
Best Time to Take Ashwagandha
That depends on why you are taking Ashwagandha and what form of Ashwagandha you are taking.
Ashwagandha can be taken on an empty stomach early in the morning or just before you go to bed.
Ashwagandha in the morning
Ashwagandha supplements, if taken in the morning, will ensure that you have an energy-filled day. You can opt to have Ashwagandha tea, first thing in the morning or you can have an Ashwagandha churna ball.
Our favorite, hassle-free way of taking Ashwagandha is Ashwagandha tablets. These tablets are designed keeping in mind the convenience to incorporate into your everyday life.
Ashwagandha at night
You can take Ashwagandha at night, just before going to bed. You can have Ashwagandha powder with milk or pop an Ashwagandha churna ball for dessert, after dinner.
Ashwagandha tablets can also be taken at night.
Taking Ashwagandha at night is a way to ensure that your body continues to function optimally while you are resting. Taking Ashwagandha at night keeps fatigue away by naturally reenergizing your system.
Also read: 6 Yoga Asanas to Get Rid of Double Chin
How to Take Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha can be had as:
- Ashwagandha powder mixed with milk – Ashwagandha powder is the base for any other way of taking Ashwagandha. Here, Ashwagandha roots – which have most of the medicinal benefits are dried, cut, and sifted for tea or powdered to be taken with milk.
- Ashwagandha churna balls – These churna balls are made with herbs like Gokshura, Safed Musli, and Shilajit to maximize the health benefits of Ashwagandha for hair, skin and immunity.
- Ashwagandha chocolate – A dark chocolate infused with Ashwagandha. This combination helps in boosting libido and acts as a natural aphrodisiac.
- Ashwagandha tea – This is the best caffeine-free drink to soothe you into a restful sleep every night. All you need to do is boil the herb’s roots in water so that the water is infused. Also try Kahwa tea for improving your immunity.
- Ashwagandha Tablets – The most hassle-free and convenient way to take Ashwagandha. Ashwagandha tablets or Ashwagandha Capsules for women helps in boosting their overall wellbeing by taking Ashwagandha twice a day.
- Ashwagandha with water – If you are a vegan, this is the easiest way to consume Ashwagandha. The prep is similar to Ashwagandha doodh but without the milk obviously. Replace the milk with water or almond milk and you can drink this mixture.
- Ashwagandha Oil – From arthritis to even a sore day after working out, Ashwagandha oil is your go-to since it relieves muscle tension.
- Ashwagandha paste for your hair – Ashwagandha can reverse premature graying of hair by producing melanin – the pigment responsible for the color of your hair.
Also Read: About other Ayurvedic Herbs for your hair
Ashwagandha Capsules - The Best Way to Take Ashwagandha
We are always asked so many questions about Ashwagandha pills.
Are Ashwagandha pills safe to take?
How do you take Ashwagandha pills?
How often should Ashwagandha pills be taken?
Let us answer this by starting with – Ashwagandha capsules are safe.
- Ashwagandha capsule benefits women in several ways and is the easiest way to get an evenly measured dosage of Ashwagandha. Just pop an Ashwagandha capsule and get all its benefits. All you need to do is read the other ingredients combined with it.
- Ashwagandha capsules that contain Safed Musli and Shilajit have a range of benefits and help to boost your performance and increase your energy levels. In addition, Ashwagandha can also help in increasing height.
- Based on your requirement and the dosage of Ashwagandha in the pill, you can take the capsules.
- Be sure not to exceed a daily dosage of more than 2 grams a day.
Also Read: How consuming Ashwagandha helps your skin
Ashwagandha Churna (Powder): How to take it?
Ashwagandha powder is popularly known as Ashwagandha churna in India.
Ashwagandha churna is so well known that how to take Ashwagandha is a question that can go unanswered.
But, for the benefit of the newbies to Ashwagandha powder and Ashwagandha churna, this is how you take it.
How to Take Ashwagandha Powder during the day or at Night?
You can take Ashwagandha during the day or at night. Taking Ashwagandha at night or during the day has its own benefits:
Taking Ashwagandha Churna during the night
- It’s best to take Ashwagandha churna mixed with milk at night, before going to bed.
- Ashwagandha powder with milk is known to calm your nervous system, especially after a long day.
- Ashwagandha powder with milk ensures that you sleep better and wake up well-rested.
Taking Ashwagandha Churna during the day
- You can also take Ashwagandha churna in the morning to kickstart an energetic day so that the Ashwagandha churna makes sure you have enough energy for the day ahead of you.
- In case you want to add some flavor while taking Ashwagandha churna, all you need to do is add some honey to the Ashwagandha powder mixture.
- Honey is a natural sweetener and will boost your entire Ashwagandha powder experience.
In case you are a vegan you can avoid taking Ashwagandha powder with almond milk or soya milk and replace it with water. You can also make healthy DIY Ashwagandha churna balls at home.
All you need to do is mix Ashwagandha powder with jaggery and a tad bit of black salt. You can start your day with this and end it with this healthy Ashwagandha churna.
Also read: Sapat Lotion- What It Does And How And When To Use It
Benefits of Ashwagandha Tablets
- Ashwagandha tablets can be used to treat anxiety and stress-related issues.
- Ashwagandha tablets also assists in enhancing athletic performance
- Ashwagandha tablets benefits the endocrine system and the central nervous system
- These tablets have been found useful in treating diabetes and slowing down the aging process.
How to take Ashwagandha Tablets?
- 1-2 Ashwagandha tablets can be consumed after meals 2-3 times a day
- Ashwagandha Tablets can be taken with water
- These Ashwagandha tablets can be taken during the day and at night, after meals
- It is important to consult with a doctor on the dosage as the dosage of Ashwagandha Tablets may depend upon an individual's health condition.
How Long Does it Take for Ashwagandha to Start Working?
How soon Ashwagandha supplements take to work largely depends on your lifestyle choices – your diet, your sleep cycle, and your exercise pattern. All of these factors increase the positive effect of Ashwagandha powder on your body.
Ashwagandha supplements when taken can help you over a gradual period of time. Since it is a herb, it has an effect only when taken consistently.
Whether you are taking Ashwagandha in the form of a churna or capsule, be sure to check out the Ashwagandha quality.
An Ashwagandha capsule is a quick and easy way to have it. All you need is water and the Ashwagandha tablet.
Again, since it is not a magic pill, if you take Ashwagandha overnight, it cannot show you any results.
Also read: PCOS Tablets, Pills & Other Medications: Do They Really WORK?
Side Effects of Ashwagandha
While taking Ashwagandha, it is important to take it the right way. But with this we mean, the right dosage of Ashwagandha based on your health condition, choosing whether to take Ashwagandha in the night or the morning.
To avoid Ashwagandha side effects, it is important to choose how to take Ashwagandha daily and be consistent with the form and the dosage.
Excess Ashwagandha can damage your kidney and thyroid gland’s functioning.
Ashwagandha can have side effects on your blood pressure if your BP is already particularly low.
How to use Ashwagandha Oil?
You can heat the Ashwagandha oil for a few minutes. Once warm, you can massage it on your body for at least 20-25 minutes. Doing so 1-2 times a week shows the best results.
Are there any side effects of Ashwagandha Tablets?
When taken with proper consultation, there are no side effects of Ashwagandha Tablets. For best results, it is imperative to get a prescription from a doctor on the dosage of Ashwagandha Tablet to be taken.
What should be the dosage of Ashwagandha Churna?
The intake of Ashwagandha Churna depends upon the health condition being catered. Normally 1/2-1/4 tsp of Ashwagandha Churna either with milk or water can be taken after meals, 2-3 times a day.
What are the Ashwagandha Churna benefits for Women?
Ashwagandha Churna when taken with warm milk or water helps in:
- Treating stress and anxiety disorders
- Enhancing sleep
- Treating depression
- Boosting Energy
- Reducing blood sugar levels
What is the price of Ashwagandha Churna?
There are various popular brands such as Dabur and Patanjali that sell Ashwagandha Churna. Depending upon the brand and quantity purchased. the price of Ashwagandha range from Rs 60 to Rs. 450.
- Deepak Langade, Subodh Kanchi, Jaising Salve, Khokan Debnath, and Dhruv Ambegaokar, September 2019; Efficacy and Safety of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) Root Extract in Insomnia and Anxiety: A Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo-controlled Study- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6827862/
- L.C. Mishra, B.B. Singh, Simon Dagenais, September 2000; Scientific basis for the therapeutic use of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha): A Review- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/12365397_Scientific_basis_for_the_therapeutic_use_of_Withania_somnifera_Ashwagandha_A_Review
- Ashwinikumar A Raut, Nirmala N Rege, Firoz M Tadvi, Punita V Solanki, Kirti R Kene, Sudatta G Shirolkar, Shefali N Pandey, Rama A Vaidya, and Ashok B Vaidya, July 2012; Exploratory study to evaluate tolerability, safety, and activity of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) in healthy volunteers- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23125505/