Best Oil for Hair Fall Control
The following are some of the best hair oils for hair fall.
1) Coconut Oil:- When there is a lack of protein in the body, the growing hair on our scalp moves into the resting phase. It causes hair loss after a few months. As per research, coconut oil helps in curbing protein loss from hair and thus, aids in controlling hair fall.
2) Castor Oil:- Castor oil comprises fatty acids like ricinoleic and oleic acid. Massaging your scalp daily with castor oil for a few minutes helps in dilating the blood vessels and increases oxygen flow to the scalp. This allows nutrients to reach the hair follicle and helps in curbing hair fall.
3) Amla Oil:- Scratching your scalp due to dandruff can indirectly cause hair fall. Amla oil has antibacterial properties that help in getting rid of dandruff. Therefore, if you are facing hair fall due to dandruff, Amla oil can be beneficial for you. Moreover, an animal study in 2017 suggested that Amla contains an enzyme 5α-reductase that helps reduce hair fall.
4) Argan Oil:- Another oil that can be beneficial in controlling hair fall is Moroccan Argan oil. This oil contains omega 6, vitamin E, and fatty acids that provide moisture to the scalp and repair damaged hair. Therefore, it strengthens the roots, which in turn reduces hair fall.
5) Olive Oil:- Olive oil contains oleic acid, palmitic acid, and squalene that provide deep conditioning to the scalp and lock moisture. It helps repair damaged hair and stimulates blood supply to the scalp. Therefore, olive oil helps in reducing hair fall.
Moreover, as per an animal study, the topical application of oleuropein (the main component found in olive leaves) promotes hair growth.
6) Jojoba Oil:- Lack of nutrients in the body is a common cause of hair fall. Jojoba oil is rich in nutrients like vitamins B and C, zinc and copper. It also consists of vitamin A that is a powerful antioxidant. It reduces the presence of free radicals in the body, which helps in controlling hair fall.
7) Bhringraj Oil:- Free radicals in the body are one of the major causes of hair fall. Bhringraj oil comprises vitamin E, which works as an antioxidant to fight off free radicals. Therefore, it helps in reducing hair fall. An old study conducted on animals also suggests that bhringraj oil promotes the growth of new hair follicles.
8) Tea tree Oil:- Another essential oil for hair that helps in controlling hair fall caused due to dandruff is tea tree oil. It has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that aid in managing dandruff. Tea tree oil opens up hair follicles blocked due to excessive sebum and boosts blood circulation.
9) Rosemary Oil:- Studies also suggest that an increase in dihydrotestosterone, an androgen hormone in the body, can also make some women lose hair. As per research, rosemary oil is effective in controlling hair fall due to androgen hormones.
10) Sesame Oil:- Scalp inflammation makes the roots weak and can also cause hair fall. Sesame oil has fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6 that have anti-inflammatory properties. It thus helps manage hair fall.
11) Neem Oil:- Neem oil also has fatty acids like oleic and linoleic acids. It facilitates the blood supply to the scalp and makes the roots strong. Neem oil also prevents hair thinning.
12) Onion Oil:- Onion oil is also rich in antioxidants that help in controlling hair fall caused due to free radicals. According to research, onion oil is rich in sulfur that helps dormant hair follicles grow. It also reduces split ends and hair breakage.
Hair oils may not be suitable for people with oily scalp. Some people are also allergic to hair oils. Therefore, here are a few effective oil alternatives.
- Hair Mask:- Instead of using hair oil directly, you can apply hair masks with oil extracts on your roots. They make hair smooth and shiny and also repair the damage. You can buy hair masks from the market or prepare DIY masks. The most common ingredients used in DIY masks are honey, banana, egg white, aloe vera gel, and curd.
- Hair Serum:- Another option to choose in place of hair oil is a hair serum. The majority of hair serums have oil extracts and are lightweight that makes it easier for the scalp to absorb them.
Risks and Potential Complications
Even though massaging the scalp with hair oils promotes healthy hair, it also poses some risks. Potential complications from hair oils are listed below.
- Excessive application of hair oils might cause acne or pimples.
- Oils can also cause buildup in hair that might result in scalp infections.
- Allergic reactions from castor oil can cause swelling in the body and skin rashes.
Summing Up on Anti Hair Fall Oils
Hair oils nourish hair and scalp and promote blood supply that helps in activating dormant hair follicles. They also aid in treating scalp infections and indirectly help in controlling hair fall.