What Causes Excessive Sweating of the Head and Face?
Sweating is a normal bodily function that helps regulate body temperature. But, excessive sweating is a cause of worry. It could occur due to an underlying medical condition called craniofacial hyperhidrosis. It is a genetic condition causing sweat glands in the body to over-function. In simple words, it means sweating more than necessary for body temperature. If you want to know more about what causes excessive sweating of the head and face, then read on!
What Causes Excessive Sweating of the Head?
Reasons for sweating of the head include nervousness, stress, or the medical condition craniofacial hyperhidrosis. Another condition called secondary hyperhidrosis can also be one cause of head sweating. This is ‘secondary’ because it could be a side effect of specific medication, hormone imbalances, or nervous system damage.
What Causes Excessive Sweating of the Face?
Do you keep wondering, ‘why does my face sweat so much?’ if you are 45 years old and above., it could be due to craniofacial hyperhidrosis, secondary hyperhidrosis, or menopause.
If your face or head sweats excessively, it’s best to consult a doctor.
Also read: Pimples due to dandruff
Does Sweating Cause Hair Loss?
Yes, sweaty hair causes hair loss. There can be many reasons for this. Some of them are:
- The sweat on the scalp can mix with keratin in the hair causing damage and hair loss.
- Hair fall due to sweat can also occur when sweat mixes with harmful bacteria already present in your hair.
- Hair strands may become dehydrated due to excessive sweating of the head.
- Sweaty hair also leads to blocked pores of the scalp, damaging in the long run.
Is Sweating Good for Hair?
To sweat, a healthy amount is suitable for your hair and overall body. Sweat from your hair follicles opens up the path for new hair to grow. But as mentioned in the above section, excess sweat is harmful.
Also read: How to Do Hair Spa at Home? 7 Best Natural Hair Spa at Home Solutions
How to Reduce Sweating of Head?
Now that you know what causes excessive sweating of the head and face, it’s time to move onto the solutions. Here is how you can reduce sweating of the head:
- Consult a doctor to confirm if you have craniofacial hyperhidrosis or secondary hyperhidrosis. Then you can proceed with treatment accordingly.
- Wash your hair and scalp as regularly as once in 2 days. Consult a dermatologist for the type of hair products that will suit you during this process.
- Scrub your scalp thoroughly to reduce the effects of sweaty hair.
- Avoid eating spicy food and see if it affects your condition.
- Reduce your stress levels. Stress levels cause hormonal imbalances in the body, paving the way for secondary hyperhidrosis.
- If you are looking for how to stop head sweating home remedies, you can try a mix of lemon juice and coconut water. Keep the mixture in your scalp for half an hour before you shampoo and then rinse off thoroughly. You can also give lemon and curd for dandruff a try.
How to Stop Hair Loss Due to Sweating?
You can stop hair loss due to sweating in the following ways:
- Use apple cider vinegar to massage your scalp before shampooing. It helps in treating sweaty hair by absorbing the extra sweat.
- Use Lavender oil or Chamomile oil to massage your scalp. Lavender oil has antimicrobial properties, while Chamomile oil helps to add shine. You can also try using Castor Oil for hair.
- Specific hair masks are also helpful in controlling hair fall due to sweat. Try mixing equal amounts of oats and fresh milk. Oats for hair have Omega-3 fatty acids that stimulate hair growth. Leave this mask in for about half an hour before rinsing.
- If the problem persists, you can try medication for excess sweat, which will help manage scalp sweating hair loss. Do consult a doctor before starting any medicines.
Also read: 10 Ayurvedic herbs for hair growth
How to Control Sweat on the Face?
Here are some useful tips on how to stop sweating face:
- You can try using antiperspirants. Do consult a doctor before usage.
- Washing your face regularly is one of the easiest things you can do. Use a mild face wash twice a day.
- Another helpful tip on reducing sweating on the face is to wear breathable clothing. Proper ventilation can help control sweat to some extent.
- Avoid consuming spicy foods and caffeine since they trigger sweat glands on your face.
Now you know what causes excessive sweating of the head and face. You also learn how to control sweating. Making small changes in your lifestyle can help to some extent. But if the problem persists, it is better to consult a doctor.
- Andreas Lehmann, Friederike Lehmann, Miriam Ude, Christian Ude, January 2014; Hair loss and excessive sweat production - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/262579746_Hair_loss_and_excessive_sweat_production
- American Family Physician, September 2017; Hair Loss: Common Causes and Treatment - https://www.aafp.org/afp/2017/0915/p371.html
- NHS Informs, February 2020; Hyperhidrosis - https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/skin-hair-and-nails/hyperhidrosis
- Tanja Schlereth, Marianne Dieterich, Frank Birklein, January 2009; Hyperhidrosis—Causes and Treatment of Enhanced Sweating - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695293/
- International Hyperhidrosis Society; Sweaty Face and Head - https://www.sweathelp.org/where-do-you-sweat/sweaty-face-and-head.html
- Aamir Haider, Nowell Solish, January 2005; Focal hyperhidrosis: diagnosis and management - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC543948/