Does Female Masturbation Affect Ovulation?
No, it does not. According to Danielle Jones, a prominent and certified OB-GYN, masturbation does not affect ovulation, either positively or negatively. According to another study, around 91% of women masturbate at some point in their lives. The impact of the same is psychologically positive.
Does female masturbation cause infertility?
No. Female masturbation is a healthy habit and nothing to be ashamed of. Myths surrounding female masturbation include stunted growth, delayed periods, and even pregnancy. However, none of these claims stand true. As long as it is not excessive, masturbating as much as every day is beneficial for the female body.
Does Female Masturbation Affect Pregnancy?
Some studies suggest that female orgasm performs a sperm-retention function. However, one issue is that most women do not achieve orgasm through intercourse without clitoral stimulation. This limits the orgasm’s ability to help with pregnancy.
Female masturbation does increase the levels of oxytocin which eases the flow of sperm to the tubes but has no correlation with fertility.
Dr. Cindy Basinski, a gynecologist with Basinski & Juran, believes orgasm has zero effect on female fertility. Masturbation does reduce stress and strengthens sexual relationships. So, it does not affect the ability to get pregnant but may help you enjoy the process.
Masturbation during pregnancy is also a common practice and has no adverse effects. However, it would help if you avoided it when:
- You have a weakened cervix.
- There is a premature rupture of membranes, i.e., the sac that protects the fetus in the womb breaks before the onset of labor.
- You have Placenta Praevia, a condition in which the placenta, an organ that develops during pregnancy to provide oxygen and nutrients to the baby, covers the opening in the mother’s cervix. This causes hindrances in pregnancy.
Does Female Masturbation Affect Periods?
- Pain relief.
- Improved sleep.
- Better lubrication compared to regular days.
Also read: Best sex positions for a female orgasm
Specific tips to make masturbation easier during menstruation:
- Perform it during a bath.
- Try clitoral and external stimulation.
- Using toys with a condom over them.
Does Masturbation Cause Weight Gain in Females?
No. masturbation has nothing to do with weight gain or weight loss. You may feel exhausted and lethargic if you masturbate once or twice a day. Some researches link slimness with more intercourse and lesser masturbation for both sexes. But this does not mean that masturbating will cause weight gain.
If you feel extreme sluggishness or a sudden weight change, you may consult an expert.
Disadvantages of Daily Masturbation in Females
The frequency of masturbation varies from woman to woman. You can masturbate daily, more than once a day, weekly, monthly, or not at all. All are normal.
So, how to find out if you are over-masturbating? Look for these signs:
- You injure yourself by rubbing aggressively.
- You masturbate multiple times daily to escape from life’s realities.
- You prefer pleasing yourself over partnered sex or socializing with others.
What happens if you over-masturbate?
When you are masturbating excessively, you may feel irritation in your genitals because of friction. It also may affect your social relationships. If you keep masturbating similarly, you may condition yourself to reach orgasm only via masturbation.
Stomach pain after masturbation in females- why does it happen? When to consult a doctor?
Masturbation is entirely a safe and harmless practice. However, multiple reasons lead to stomach or abdominal pain after masturbation:
- Tears and rips in the vaginal lining.
- Hypoestrogenism, aka estrogen deficiency in women experiencing menopause.
- Lichen sclerosus, a chronic condition that causes thin, white patches of skin, usually in the genital area.
- A rectovaginal fistula, an abnormal connection between the lower portion of your large intestine — your rectum — and your vagina, happens when a vibrator is left in the vagina for an extended period.
Generally, the stomach pain after masturbation goes away on its own. But, when any of the above situations occur, it is advisable to consult a doctor.
Lower back pain after masturbation in females
Too much masturbation causes back pain. When you have tight pelvic floor muscles, your vagina does not relax after the contractions and cramps. In some cases, changing position while masturbating helps. But if it doesn’t, you must visit a specialist.
Other disadvantages of regular masturbation
Some other disadvantages of over-masturbation may include:
Mental and physical imbalance due to regular masturbation:
Regular masturbation may lead to addiction, making you forget the other aspects of your life. You also lose focus and the ability to concentrate.
Regular masturbation can lead to lowered libido level:
You may not feel the need to indulge in sexual activities with your partner. This may hamper your relationship.
Does a sleeping position after IUI help?
In numerous cases of Intrauterine Insemination, it was discovered that lying down and lying still led to sperm reaching the end of the tubes in about 3-10 minutes. This is why many facilities offering this procedure have adopted the immobilization method for women after they have been artificially inseminated.
- Kendall, September 2011; Will masturbating affect sperm count or fertility? -
- Mahshid Bokaie, Masoumeh Simbar, Seyed Mojtaba Yassini Ardekani, Hamid Alavi Majd, July 2016; Women's beliefs about infertility and sexual behaviors: A qualitative study- Women's beliefs about infertility and sexual behaviors: A qualitative study - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Ana Carvalheira &Isabel Leal, February 2012; Masturbation Among Women: Associated Factors and Sexual Response in a Portuguese Community Sample- Masturbation Among Women: Associated Factors and Sexual Response in a Portuguese Community Sample: Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy: Vol 39, No 4 (tandfonline.com)
- Suzannah Weiss, December 2016; Orgasms could increase your chances of getting pregnant, study suggests- Orgasms could increase your chances of getting pregnant, study suggests | London Evening Standard | Evening Standard