Momos are a popular street food of India generally made from all-purpose flour or maida with vegetable, paneer, or meat stuffing. They are also known as dim sum in many states across the nation. They taste delicious and lightweight while eating but are they good for your health? Read further to find out every nutritional detail, recipe, and calorie count of momos.
1 momo calorie of 36g is 61 calories when made with all-purpose flour (maida), ground chicken, oil, garlic, onion, tomatoes, etc.
Momos nutritional value chart for a quantity of 36 grams is given below:
Note: The % Daily Value mentioned above in the table is the percentage of the daily required value of each nutrient for an average person in a serving of the momo.
Chicken momo calories are 61. So by consuming a plate of eight all purpose flour momos, you will have 488 calories out of 2000 total required calories for an adult. Fried momos contain more calories.
How Many Calories Does One Serving of Momos Have?
One serving of momos, made up of a plain flour cover filled with sauteed vegetables, contains 35 calories. Of these, protein and carbohydrates account for three calories and 16 calories, respectively. The remaining 16 calories come from fats.
An adult requires 2000 calories per day, and 1 momos calorie roughly equals 2% of the daily calorie requirement.
Is Momos Healthy?
Momos are made with steamed all-purpose flour, i.e., maida, which may cause problems in the human body. Maida is a refined carb and is treated with chemicals like Azodicarbonamide, Chlorine Gas, Benzoyl Peroxide, and other bleaches. These chemicals are harmful to the pancreas and can cause diabetes.
Maida causes certain health problems such as-
- Increase in the risk of diabetes
- Weakened immune system, and
- Other heart diseases.
Momos can be made healthy if cooked at home with washed vegetables and by using whole wheat flour or whole grain flour for the dough instead of refined flour.
Below mentioned are some other ways of making healthy momos:
- Add a variety of vegetables such as french beans, peas, carrots, onion, ginger, garlic, or bottle gourd in the momos as fillings. These vegetables are beneficial for health.
- Include soybean chunks or mashed paneer in the filling. These are good sources of protein.
- If you are making non-vegetable momos, then use lean meat such as chicken, turkey, fish, etc., for the filling as a substitute to red meat.
- Add natural herbs, salt, and pepper instead of artificial flavouring ingredients like Monosodium glutamate (MSG). It is capable of causing obesity and metabolic disorders.
- Opt for steamed momos over fried momos because steamed momos calories are low, whereas calories in momos that are fried in oil are high. Consuming high-calorie food regularly could cause obesity-related issues.
Are Momos Good for Weight Loss?
Momos made from all-purpose flour may not be good for weight loss. However, whole wheat or whole grain steamed momos can be consumed if you are following a weight loss regime. You can include them as a meal in your diet but not over other healthy options recommended by nutritionists.
When you are adding protein-rich momos to your diet, then keep in mind that a plate of eight paneer momos contains 300 calories, and chicken momos contain 390 calories. Momos are smaller in size, and while we eat them, we generally eat more than needed and consume excess calories than the standard requirement.
This may lead to weight gain instead of weight loss as the body will store those extra calories in the form of fat. To restrict eating momos in excess, practice portion control.
How Long Would It Take to Burn Off 35 Kcal?
You can burn 35 calories that you got from a serving of vegetable steamed momos by following a fitness regime that includes the below-mentioned exercises:
- Walking for about 11 minutes at a speed of 6 kilometres per hour (kmph)
- Running for 4 minutes at a speed of 11 mph
- Cycling for 5 minutes at 30 mph pace
- Swimming for 6 minutes at a pace of 2 mph
*These are approximate values and may differ from individual to individual.
A plate of steamed vegetable momos, which contains eight pieces, has 280 calories.
On the other hand, the fried momos plate has roughly around 904 calories, almost triple the calories of steamed momos. If you have consumed fried momos, then you need to work out more to burn those calories.
In the same way, if you are eating protein-rich momos, such as a plate of eight chicken momos, then that plate contains 390 calories, and a plate of fried chicken momos contains 1200 calories.
One should consume momos keeping calorie intake in mind because a plate of fried chicken momos covers half of the daily calorie requirement. When the calorie intake is more than needed, the body starts storing those excess calories as fat. This may eventually lead to obesity and many other heart problems.
Wheat Momos Recipe for Weight Loss
Here is a complete recipe of vegetable wheat momos that one can include in the weight loss plan:
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 Minutes
- Total time: 1-hour
- Servings: 12
Ingredients required for momos dough:
- Two cups wheat flour/atta
- Two teaspoons (tsp) oil
- Salt (as per taste)
- Water as needed to knead
Ingredients for making the stuffing:
- Two tsp oil
- Two cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- One onion (finely chopped)
- Two cups cabbage (shredded)
- One carrot (grated)
- One tablespoon (tbsp) vinegar
- ½ tsp pepper (crushed)
- One tbsp soy sauce
- One tbsp chilli sauce
- Salt to taste
Instructions to cook:
- Knead the flour and keep it away for 30 minutes.
- In a big pan, heat oil and saute garlic, onion, cabbage, and carrot.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, chilli sauce, pepper, and salt to taste in the veggies.
- Mix well this stuffing
- Now, take the prepared momos dough and knead it again for a minute.
- Take a tiny ball of dough.
- Flatten the ball and dust it with some wheat flour, and start to roll using a rolling pin to a medium-thin circle.
- Place a tbsp of stuffing in the centre and start pleating it to form a bundle.
- Steam the momos for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve the wheat momos hot with momos chutney.
Summing Up on Calories in Momos
Momos are the yummiest street food, but you must consume them within a limit. It is loaded with calories and doesn’t keep you full for longer. You can add it to your diet only by making it healthy and swapping maida with wheat or whole grain flour.