India is a tropical country. The summer experience here can be painful and energy squeezing. All you need to beat the summer heat are fruits that hydrate, energise, and taste good. Try to control your taste buds while we discuss the 20 best Indian summer fruits that hydrate, restore energy, boost health, and help escape the Indian summer heat.
What Are Summer Fruits?
Fruits that are available in the summer season are called summer fruits. Characteristics of summer season fruits are:
- Loaded with essential nutrients, vitamins, and phytochemicals
- High water content
- Light and easy on the stomach
- Full of flavours
- Mineral-rich to restore the lost minerals and salt
20 Best Summer Fruits
Here is a list of summer fruits that are abundant in nutrients and are equally delicious:
With 92 per cent water content, watermelon is one of the best summer fruits. As per studies, watermelon contains nutrients that have the following properties:
- anti-inflammatory (reduces pain, swelling and redness in the body)
- anticancer (prevents cancer)
- antioxidant (reduces cell damage and prevents premature ageing)
Watermelon is a rich source of phytochemicals like lycopene and vitamin C. The phytochemicals provide energy and prevent diseases like diabetes, cancer, and hypertension.
Watermelon hydrates your body during summers and replenishes the lost vitamins and minerals. As per a study, watermelon is a rich source of vitamin B, C, E and minerals like iron, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus.
Now you know all the benefits of watermelon as a summer fruit, let us know the best way to enjoy a watermelon! Watermelon juice or watermelon slices are the two most common and easy ways to enjoy watermelon.
To make watermelon juice, follow the five-minute recipe:
Step-1: Wash the whole watermelon under tap water.
Quick Bite: If you have bought a slice of watermelon, store it in the refrigerator, and once it is chilled, take a spoon and scoop out the pulp and enjoy.
Step-2: Cut the whole watermelon into smaller parts.
Step-3: Scoop out the pulp and remove the seeds with the help of a knife.
Step-4: Add all the watermelon pulp into a blender.
Step-5: Add a small amount of lemon, ginger, and some mint leaves to the blender.
Step-6: Blend it until it becomes smooth and frothy.
Step-7: Pour it in a glass.
Step-8: You may keep the glass in the refrigerator and drink chilled watermelon juice after 30 minutes or drink it straight away after adding ice to it.
Rich in healthy calories, fibre, vitamins, and minerals, undoubtedly mango is the "king of fruits." As per studies, mango flesh has bioactive compounds that reduce cell damage, prevent premature ageing, improve health and help reduce the risks of chronic diseases. During scorching Indian summer, when the sun is high and you are low on energy and dehydrated, a chilled mango smoothie can be the best use of this summer fruit.
Mango recipes that you don't want to miss this summer:
- Mango pulp smoothie
- Mango panna drink with jeera topping
- Fluffy mango mousse
- Mango-yoghurt punch
- Chocolate mango smoothie
If you don't have enough patience to wait, cut the refrigerated mango into slices, scoop out mango pulp with a spoon and enjoy.
3. Muskmelon (Kharbooja)
Similar in appearance to that of a watermelon, muskmelon are yet another summer fruits that have rich water content to keep you hydrated during summers. As per a study, muskmelon is a good source of vitamin A, C, potassium, and magnesium.
It is also known to have the following medicinal properties:
- Analgesic (relieves pain)
- Anti-inflammatory (reduces swelling, redness and pain)
- Anti-diabetic (prevents diabetes)
- Immunity booster (strengthens our body to fight infections
Nutrient-rich and full of medicinal properties, muskmelon is one of the best summer season fruits. You can enjoy the muskmelon as a shake or just cut it into slices, refrigerate it and eat.
As per research, kiwi is one of the all-rounder summer fruits with benefits such as good digestion, better sleep, and depression alleviation.
In summers, we sweat a lot and lose some essential minerals from the body. Loaded with vitamins like vitamin A, B6, C and minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and iron, kiwi is one of the best Indian summer fruits.
This summer, you may directly enjoy the pulp of kiwi fruit, or you may serve yourself with the following mouth-watering and hydrating kiwi recipe:
- Kiwi mango fuzz: Combined power of two best summer fruits to keep yourself energised and hydrated this summer.
- Kiwi smoothie with added melon: Tasty, energising, and hydrating nutritious drink to have this summer.
Oranges are summer fruits with more than 80 per cent of water content. Rich in vitamins and minerals, oranges keep your body hydrated and protect it from the summer heat. Orange juice is considered the easiest and best way to enjoy this summer fruit.
Papayas are common Indian summer season fruits used across states. As per a study, papaya is one of the best summer fruits because of its enzyme content (papain and chymopapain) that strengthens immunity to fight viral, bacterial, and fungal infections. Peel off the papaya skin, cut it into thin slices and enjoy with a pinch of black salt.
Thorny and juicy pineapple is similar in benefits to other mentioned summer fruits in India. Loaded with vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B6, C, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, and potassium, pineapple helps regain the lost minerals in the summer heat.
Summer season fruits like pineapple hydrate the body and maintains a balance in the acidity that may increase during the summer season. Pineapples can be enjoyed as juice and fruit slices during summers.
Guavas are highly nutritious summer fruits. As per studies, guava is rich in water content, fibre, iron, vitamin B complex, phosphorus, calcium, and carotene.
The study mentions guava to have the following medicinal properties:
- Antioxidant (reduce cell damage and prevent premature ageing)
- Treatment of cough
- Immunity booster to fight against bacterial and fungal infection
- Effective against diabetes, cancer, and high blood pressure
Guavas, like most Indian summer fruits, are mostly eaten raw. It can also be enjoyed as smoothies.
Plums are summer fruits that are a good source of vitamins, minerals, and bioactive compounds such as carotenoids and phenolic acids. As per a study, plums help improve memory, lower blood sugar level, boosts bone health, and prevent a wide range of diseases.
Litchi is the most common Indian summer fruit after mango. Litchi is consumed fresh from the farm. Litchi has several health benefits due to a wide range of nutritional components such as polyphenols, reported a study.
One of the summer fruits are strawberries which protect against the skin problems common during the summer heat. Flavonoids and phytonutrients give strawberries an attractive red colour.
They make strawberries useful as an antioxidant nutrient to lower blood cholesterol, prevent heart diseases and stop the growth of cancer cells, as per a study report. Strawberries can be consumed as smoothies, ice-creams, cakes, or can also be taken raw.
Grapes are easily available summer fruits. As per a study, grapes are used for nutritional purposes and therapeutics.
Grapes are rich in polyphenols and antioxidants that make them beneficial against infections and help boost brain health. According to a study, grapes may benefit women with breast cancer.
Figs are natural sugar-containing summer fruits that provide instant energy during an exhaustive summer. Figs help replenish the dehydrated summer body with minerals like potassium, calcium, and magnesium.
Bananas are not specifically summer fruits but are mostly consumed to revive the lost energy during the summer months. Apart from providing energy-rich calories, they help maintain good digestive health and relieve constipation. Banana shake with some ice can be a refreshing drink during summers.
Delicious apricots are considered one of the best summer fruits. They are a rich source of beta-carotene that benefits eye health and skin health during summer.
Peaches are not just good summer fruits but help lower blood pressure and prevent heart diseases. Peaches restore the lost vitamins and minerals in the body due to excessive summer sweat.
17. Star Fruits
Potassium and vitamin C rich star fruits are an excellent name among the summer season fruits. Help relax the eyes and relieve headaches due to extreme summer temperatures.
After mango and litchi, bael is the most common among summer fruits in India. You need no ice or refrigeration for bael drink. It is a natural coolant with added benefits of antioxidants and an immunity booster.
The cheapest and most affordable summer drinks are made of lemon, water, and sugar. Lemon is an excellent summer fruit that restores potassium and vitamins in the body. Lemons are known for their antioxidant and anti-ageing properties.
One of the best summer fruits, cucumber, can be eaten raw with a pinch of black salt. A good amount of water content and a rich source of potassium, vitamin A, C, K, and antioxidants make cucumber a common summer fruit among Indians.
Importance of Summer Fruits
March to June is a summer month in India. Extreme heat causes a lot of sweating and loss of sodium, potassium, and other essential minerals from the body. Summer fruits come as a saviour against scorching summer heat. Their high water content with mineral constituents replenish the body and restore essential minerals.
Summer fruits like cucumber, watermelon, and bael hydrate and cool down the body giving relief from muscle cramps. Hence, summer fruits play an essential role in rehydrating, cooling, and restoring the body's lost energy during extreme summer temperatures.
Summer Fruits Nutrients
Summer fruits are a good source of:
- bioactive compounds
- several other medically beneficial constituents.
Summer Fruits Benefits
The above constituents of summer season fruits provide the following benefits:
- Antioxidant activity of summer fruits reduces cell damage and prevents premature ageing.
- Bioactive compounds like polyphenols in summer fruits have anticancer activity.
- All summer fruits mentioned in this article are beneficial against diseases like diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, and infections.
- Summer fruits play an essential role in reducing heat-induced symptoms such as headache, diarrhoea, and weakness.
- High water content and plenty of minerals such as potassium and magnesium in the summer fruits help relieve the dehydration symptoms.
- Balances the acidity levels in the body and improves digestion.
- Boosts immunity and thus acts as an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral.
Summing Up on Summer Fruits
Summer fruits are the best way to tackle extreme summer temperatures. With high water content and a rich source of minerals such as magnesium, potassium, iron, and calcium, summer fruits keep the body hydrated and replenished. Include these summer fruits as smoothies, desserts, juices, or fresh and raw to keep your body cool, hydrated, energised, and healthy during the summer heat.
- John M. Pezzuto, July 2008; Grapes and Human Health: A Perspective - https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf800898p
- Sandra M. Hannum, August 2010; Potential Impact of Strawberries on Human Health: A Review of the Science - https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408690490263756
- Makaepea M. Maoto, November 2018; Watermelon as a potential fruit snack - https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10942912.2019.1584212
- Sônia Machado Rocha Ribeiro, 2010; Bioactive Compounds in Mango (Mangifera indica L.) - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780123746283000347
- Yash Prashar, January 2015; A review on medicinal properties of Carica papaya Linn - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2222180814606174
- Preeti Birwal, March 2017; Plums: A Brief Introduction - https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Saurabh-Patel-12/publication/316514807_Plums_A_Brief_Introduction/links/5901d66baca2725bd721b806/Plums-A-Brief-Introduction.pdf