Here's an elixir that’s making its way into almost every health trend in 2022. Cucumber juice is the new addition you need to make to your daily routine, and for all the good reason. Scroll down and learn more about this healthy tonic, power-packed with health benefits.
Cucumber Juice Nutrition
Research reveals that cucumber juice is packed with nutrients. According to USDA National Nutrient Database, cucumber juice nutrition includes water, Vitamin A, K, and C, some B-family vitamins, Riboflavin, Copper, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Iron, Silica, Calcium, Potassium, Dietary fibre, Folate, Zinc Electrolytes, Pantothenic acid, and other polyphenolic compounds that can impact the body.
Cucumber Juice Calories
As per the available data, cucumber juice calories in a serving of cucumber juice (approx 253 grams) are as few as 48 calories.
Cucumber Juice Benefits
1. Helps in Detoxifying the Body
The most common reason everyone seems to be adopting cucumber juice into their daily lives is its detox benefits. It flushes out the toxins regularly from the body and improves bowel movements, thereby eliminating the unwanted stuff from the system.
2. Assists in Balancing Hormones
Calcium is an integral element in the blood that affects hormonal balance. If any hormonal gland in the body, like the pituitary or thyroid, is out of balance, regular consumption of cucumber can help regulate the hormonal levels back to normal, owing to its calcium levels.
3. Increases Immunity
Cucumber is loaded with micronutrients and antioxidants that fight against several diseases. So besides loads of benefits, cucumber boosts immunity in the body.
4. Improves Skin
Cucumber water is known to detoxify the body. The water flushes out all the unwanted toxins from the body and improves the health and the texture of skin. Apart from the health benefits, cucumber has an irreplaceable spot in the beauty industry with its cooling, soothing, depuffing, and hydrating properties for the skin.
5. Strengthens Bone
A bowl of cucumber contains about 19% vitamin K which is considered the daily requirement of the nutrient. Vitamin K is needed by the body to produce proteins that are necessary for bones and tissues health.
6. Has Anti-cancer Properties
One of the most important cucumber juice benefits includes its anti-cancer properties. Cucumber is rich in antioxidants that reduce cell damage from oxidative stress. Oxidative stress is caused by free radicals that result in conditions like cancer, diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, eye degeneration, etc. Cucumbers also have lignans that fight cancer.
7. Keeps You Hydrated
If plain water is boring for you, then cucumber juice is a great way to fulfil your water intake since cucumber is rich in fluids.
8. Helps in Managing Weight Loss
Cucumber juice is known to make you feel full and hence curb hunger pangs. When you take this juice as a part of your diet plan, you’ll feel fuller for the times in between your planned meals, which in turn will help burn the unwanted fat faster.
9. Helps in Reducing Hair Fall
Cucumber is rich in micronutrients that can help to strengthen hair follicles, encourage hair growth, nourish the scalp, and provide an overall lustre to the tresses.
9. Lowers Blood Pressure
Magnesium in cucumber helps in maintaining blood pressure to a normal level.
10. Helps with Cholesterol
As per a study, having 500 gms of cucumber daily showed a favourable effect on serum lipid profile in adult patients. So it is usually recommended to take cucumber juice regularly to increase the good HDL cholesterol and reduce the unwanted LDL cholesterol.
11. Helps in Blood Coagulation
When you are deficient in Vitamin K, it shows in heavy periods, bleeding nose, haemorrhoids, etc. Cucumber juice can help in this case with its rich content of Vitamin K, which helps in blood coagulation.
12. Helps in Strengthening the Nervous System
Cucumber helps keep the nervous system in balance with its rich vitamin composition.
13. Improves Vision
The antioxidants in cucumber can help in fighting oxidative stress that degenerates the retina and causes vision issues.
14. Improves Sleep
The magnesium in cucumber is also helpful in improving sleep.
15. Cucumber Juice Benefits for Skin
One of the most amazing reasons to sip some cucumber juice daily is for cucumber juice benefits for skin. Of course, you’re blessed if you have good genes, but a little bit of this tonic can take your skincare regime to the next level. The benefits of cucumber juice on face to reduce dark circles in no news. But it's more than just reducing the puffiness and swelling on a tired face; the benefits of applying cucumber juice on face overnight are many, like
- It tightens pores with its astringent properties
- Slows the signs of ageing
- Hydrates the skin, reduces irritation, and more
16. Cucumber Juice for Weight Loss
You can also have cucumber juice for weight loss by including it as a part of your diet plan. It’s a healthy replacement for unhealthy drinks like sports drinks, soda, sugary drinks, etc.
17. Cucumber Benefits for Hair
Cucumber isn’t a very glamorous vegetable but an exclusive ingredient in hair packs made in every other household. Cucumber benefits for hair are many, like:
- It strengthens the tresses
- It nourishes the scalp with its vitamin A and C, silicon, sodium, calcium, sulphur, and other contents
- Sulphur and potassium in cucumber reduce hair fall
- Makes your hair silky
18. Benefits of Cucumber Juice on Empty Stomach
Cucumber juice is a healthy and nutritious potion that nourishes, hydrates, and cools down your system. Almost all the benefits of cucumber juice are increased when it is taken on an empty stomach and not as a part of any meal.
Benefits of Applying Cucumber Juice on Face Overnight
There’s a reason cucumber has been a part of several skin care products, deodorants, and face packs. There are more benefits of dabbing some cucumber juice on your face overnight than you can count on your fingers, for instance:
- Cucumber juice lowers the temperature of blood on your face and alleviates puffiness.
- Its juice can be used as a refreshing toner that helps minimise pores.
- It soothes the skin and helps in reducing acne.
- The phytochemicals present in phytochemicals present in cucumbers help in collagen production.
Lemon and Cucumber Water Benefits
Reap lemon and cucumber water benefits in your daily cup of cucumber juice. Here is what to expect:
1. Help Balance the Ph Balance
Since most disease-causing microorganisms need an acidic environment to thrive in the body, a balanced pH level in the body means higher immunity.
2. Help in Getting a Glowing Face
Lemon contains vitamin C, which is an essential ingredient in skincare items. This, along with silica and antioxidants from cucumber, helps you get that dewy, glowing skin.
3. Promote the Overall Health
Lemon and cucumber in combination improve digestion, purify the liver, boost immunity, keep connective tissues healthy, fight free radicals, and more.
How to Make Cucumber Juice
If you’re wondering how to make cucumber juice, follow the following easy steps:
- Take some fresh cucumbers, wash, and peel them.
- Dice them into smaller pieces and blend them. Since they are 96% water, you don’t need to add more water for blending.
- Add a pinch of salt or sugar and serve.
Cucumber Juice Side Effects
There are no known cucumber juice side effects unless you are allergic to cucumber.
Summing Up on Cucumber Juice Benefits
The best about cucumber juice is that it’s made with only one ingredient that is so easily available and comes with a plethora of benefits. So start with a glass or two of this amazing drink and see the benefits for yourself!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Happens if I Drink Cucumber Juice Every Day?
If you drink cucumber juice every day, you may notice that:
- Your body is able to maintain its fluid levels
- Your bowel movements are regular
- Your skin may clear up
- Blood pressure may normalise
When Should I Drink Cucumber Juice?
For best results, it is recommended to drink cucumber juice for 20-30 mins before taking any other food or drink. Some like to take it an hour before bed or dinner, but the main point is not to have it along with any meal. The benefits of cucumber juice on empty stomach are what you should be aiming for.
Does Cucumber Juice Reduce Belly Fat?
Cucumber juice can be a part of any low-carb diet or low-calorie diet plan to speed up the belly fat burning process, but it solely cannot contribute to weight loss.
How Long Does Cucumber Juice Last in the Fridge?
It’s always best to consume cucumber juice when it’s fresh; however, it can last in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Pulok K Mukherjee, January 2013; Phytochemical and therapeutic potential of cucumber - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23098877
- Susanne M. Henning, May 2017; Health benefit of vegetable/fruit juice-based diet: Role of microbiome - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5438379/
- H. Murad, Evaluating the Potential Benefits of Cucumbers for Improved Health and Skin Care - https://www.jarlife.net/3050-evaluating-the-potential-benefits-of-cucumbers-for-improved-health-and-skin-care.html