Are Peanuts Good for Weight Loss?
Peanuts are rich in nutritional values, including fibre, protein, heart-healthy fats, etc. Apart from these, Peanuts help boost one’s metabolic rate by acting as a good source of energy.
But are peanuts good for weight loss? Explore the best ways to consume peanuts, how they affect weight loss, etc., in this article.
How Peanuts Affect Weight Loss
Despite a high content of fats and calories, you will be surprised to know that peanuts are good for weight loss. This trait of peanuts can be attributed to the high nutritional value present in them with rich fiber and protein content. It is advised that the controlled consumption of peanuts is a good way to stay full for longer periods without gaining weight.
Here is how peanuts affect weight loss:
1. They Keep your Stomach Full for a Longer Period
Peanuts are widely added to the diet as snacks, and unlike other snacks which are filled with unhealthy fats and carbohydrates, peanuts are full of healthy protein. Peanuts also digest slowly and remain in the stomach for longer hours, keeping it full. On the other hand, carbohydrate snacks are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, followed by a quick increase in blood sugar and sudden drop, making humans hungry soon after their last meals.
2. Helps in Lower Calorie Intake
After concluding that peanuts are high in calories, the above line can be surprising to many. However, with a controlled consumption in reasonable portions, peanuts help you feel full for longer intervals. So, If you had peanuts as a snack, it may reduce your next meal intake, and if it is embedded in your meal, you may not feel the need for a snack. Either way, peanuts help reduce your calorie intake.
3. Reduces your Food Cravings
A lot of people fail to maintain a balanced diet because of their constant food cravings. This affects the results of weight loss, but if you are suffering from food cravings, then peanuts can be the answer. Because of their low Glycemic Index, peanuts stabilise blood sugar levels by slowly releasing sugar into the bloodstream gradually. This helps humans stay energetic for longer without constantly craving food, helping in positive weight loss results.
4. Full of Healthy Fats
Peanuts are mainly rich in two healthy fats, monounsaturated fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids. The consumption of these peanuts also results in a low risk of weight gain. According to a study published on the NCBI, peanuts also improve the ability of the human body to convert stored fats as energy, helping in weight loss acutely.
Types of Peanuts
Peanuts can be broadly categorised into four types. They are:
- Virginia Peanuts: The shelled Virginia peanuts are mostly salted and flavoured, so they are sold in their natural form. They are then roasted and consumed.
- Runner Peanuts: Largely grown in the US, this type is mainly used to make peanut butter.
- Valencia Peanuts: These are very sweet in taste and are most loved in the boiled form. Valencia peanuts can also be used to make natural peanut butter.
- Spanish Peanuts: These have a higher oil content than any other type of peanuts. These are used to make salted nuts, peanut butter, candy bars, etc.
How to Consume Peanuts for Weight Loss?
1. Peanut Butter
Peanuts may have many benefits associated with them, but moderation is the key when it comes to weight loss. One of the best ways to consume peanut butter is in the form of peanut butter which would also satisfy your sugar cravings. Consume only 1-2 tablespoons twice-thrice a week.
2. Mid-Day Snack
Peanuts are considered a power-packed mid-day snack because of their diversity to blend with anything. They are fulfilling and can be consumed raw, roasted, or boiled, salted or sugary, and can be consumed by adding with other ingredients or directly.
3. Taking Peanuts with Protein-Rich Foods
Peanuts can be consumed with salads or grilled chicken or fish, increasing your protein intake. This will help anyone last longer and control appetite, yielding good weight loss results.
Summing Up on Are Peanuts Good for Weight Loss?
Summing up to the question, are peanuts good for weight loss, we can conclude that peanuts are good for weight loss because they are rich in essential nutrients like proteins, fibre, and healthy fats.
Peanuts increase your metabolism rate by acting as a source of energy. They digest slowly, keeping you full for longer hours and reducing your calorie intake.
- Chandra L Jackson, June 2014; Long-term associations of nut consumption with body weight and obesity - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC4144111/
- Richard D Mattes, September 2008; Impact of peanuts and tree nuts on body weight and healthy weight loss in adults - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18716179/
- Nicole M Wedick, Miguel Angel Martinez-Gonzalez, June 2009; Prospective study of nut consumption, long-term weight change, and obesity risk in women - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19403639/