What is Unwanted Kit?
A combination of two medicines, an ‘Unwanted Kit’ is used for terminating a pregnancy or inducing a medical abortion. It terminates the pregnancy by blocking the action of progesterone (a female hormone necessary to maintain pregnancy).
How To Use Unwanted Kit?
1) The Unwanted Kit is only meant to be taken if you’re 11 weeks pregnant (or fewer). So you’d have to count the days and weeks from the first day of your last menstrual cycle.
2) Take a mifepristone pill with a glass of water. You must consume it 24-48 hours before taking the misoprostol pills.
3) Take four misoprostol pills after 1-2 days of consuming the mifepristone pill. You can consume them at your preferred time of the day. These pills aren’t meant for swallowing. You should keep them under your tongue carefully so that they dissolve.
4) You’ll have to wait 30 minutes for the misoprostol pills to dissolve. Don’t eat or drink anything during this period.
5) After 30 minutes, drink water to cleanse your mouth. This will also ensure the leftover pills get absorbed.
Here Is a Pro Tip for Unwanted Kit Usage:
Ask an individual (friend or family) you trust to keep you company throughout the process. This would ensure you have help as and when you need it. In addition, stock up on pain medication before using the Unwanted Kit.
Unwanted Kit - How does it work?
This kit can terminate a pregnancy if it’s used within 11 weeks of conception. It consists of 4 pills of misoprostol and a pill called mifepristone. You can consume the pills a day or two apart and from the comfort of your own home.
Unwanted Kit Benefits
The Unwanted Kit can be used to terminate a pregnancy in its early stage. Also, it is essentially a non-surgical method that is successful 90% of the time.
Unwanted Kit Side Effects
Unwanted Kit comes with some side effects. However, most of these side effects don’t require any medical attention. As your body starts adjusting to the medicine, the side effects recede. Here are some of the side effects of the Unwanted Kit.
- Uterine contractions
- Heavy menstrual bleeding
- Stomach cramp
Precautions and Warning Before Using Unwanted Kit
- Don’t use the kit if you’re allergic to mifepristone or misoprostol.
- Not recommended for heart patients with high blood cholesterol levels or high blood pressure.
- Don’t consume the pills if you have asthma, bleeding disorder, or blood clot issues.
- Not recommended for individuals with liver and kidney diseases.
- It can be threatening for malnourished individuals.
- As it is known to cause sleepiness, one shouldn’t work on heavy machinery or drive post-consumption.
- Regular checkups with your doctor are vital for constant monitoring of the abortion.
- Terminate the pregnancy surgically if medical termination with the Unwanted Kit is unsuccessful. Not doing so can lead to foetus defects.
- Avoid the consumption of alcohol when using the Unwanted Kit. It can cause excessive drowsiness and elevate uterine bleeding.
Unwanted Kit Price
The MRP of Unwanted Kit in India, inclusive of all taxes, is INR 385-400.
How To Manage Symptoms After Taking Unwanted Kit?
1) Take Ibuprofen For Cramps
Ibuprofen can be highly beneficial if you are trying to manage symptoms of an Unwanted Kit. Follow the instructions on the medicine bottle to ensure you aren’t consuming it in higher dosages.
2) Change Your Pads Regularly
As you’ll bleed more, it’s beneficial to change pads regularly. You must check your pad every half an hour to 45 minutes to see if it needs replacement. It is advised to avoid tampons during this period as they can cause discomfort.
3) Use Hot Water Bottles and Heat Pads
A potent way to deal with cramps is using heat pads and hot water bottles. Place them on your stomach to alleviate the pain. Taking a shower with warm water can also help.
4) Resting and Staying Hydrated is Vital
A common side-effect of the misoprostol pill is nausea. A tried and tested way to deal with it is by drinking fluids and getting ample rest. Try to consume at least 8 glasses of water daily.
5) Avoid Lifting or Heavy Exercise Post Consumption
You might feel tired or sluggish when recovering. So you must stay away from intense workouts and exercises like swimming or jogging until you start feeling better.
6) If Symptoms Persist, Contact Your Doctor
If you’re worried about your symptoms and don’t feel better after 2-3 days, reach out to your doctor.
After How Many Days Can We Use Unwanted Kit?
You can use the kit up to 63-70 days after the last day of your menstrual period. Using it after a longer period might not have the desired results.
How Many Times Can We Use Unwanted Kit?
Everyone’s body is different. That is why you must consult your doctor about the appropriate number of times you can use an Unwanted Kit.