Women with curly and wavy hair often crave smooth and straight hair. They often juggle with the "how to get straight hair at home" question. Straight hair is always manageable and can adapt to almost all types of hairstyles. But why switch to chemical doses when you have the solution of 'how to straighten hair at home without a straightener?’
How To Straight Hair At Home?
People often switch to chemical treatments to get permanent smooth and straight hair. Blow drying and ironing involved during straightening wipe away the hair's natural moisture. It often results in damaged hair tresses with more frizziness.
Here is the list of some home remedies that provide smooth and straight hair. Although the results are not quick, including these home-based options in your hair care regimen will help provide intense and better nourishment to the hair.
1. Coconut Oil and Olive Oil
Olive oil has the beneficial property of repairing damaged hair, and coconut oil help hydrate frizzy and dry hair. The combination of coconut oil and olive oil helps make the frizzy and dry hair healthy and manageable. Hot oil treatments transfer the properties of these oils directly to the hair shafts, helping revive them from within.
Ingredients: 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 tbsps of olive oil.
How to apply it-
- Warm up the mixture of coconut and olive oil in a glass bowl for at least ten seconds.
- Apply the mixture over the hair and roots and massage it for 15 minutes.
- Cover the oiled hair with a hot towel for approximately 30 minutes.
- Wash with sulfate-free shampoo and cold water to remove any traces of oil.
- Treat your hair with this mixture at least two times a week for better results.
2. Lemon Juice and Coconut Milk
According to studies, this mask helps condition the hair while giving a Vitamin C boost to the scalp. Using this mixture at least once a week provides silky and soft hair. Moreover, one can witness smooth hair right after its first use. Lemon contains saturated fats and citric acid that help restore acid-alkaline balance. It ensures deep cleansing, providing a smoother and straighter texture to your hair.
Ingredients: 1/4th cup of coconut oil for medium-length hair and one tablespoon of lemon juice
How to apply it-
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly and put the mixture into the refrigerator overnight.
- Apply the mixture from roots to the ends in the morning.
- Leave it on for approx 30 minutes and wash it off with cold water and mild shampoo.
3. DIY Milk Spray
With its high nutrient content, milk works effectively in fortifying the hair shafts, providing shine and luster. Milk contains essential vitamins like Vitamin A, E, K, and B-complex, proteins, and minerals like calcium that improve hair texture, making it smoother.
How to apply it-
- Pour approx one-fourth cup of milk in a steam-sanitized hair bottle.
- Keep spraying over the hair until it gets saturated with the milk.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash it with cold water.
- Using it at least two times a week strengthens the hair shafts, controls frizz, and makes it look straight.
4. Egg and olive oil hair mask
Eggs contain proteins that smoothen and nourish the hair, and olive oil acts as an excellent conditioner. It is the perfect solution to "how to straight hair at home?"
Ingredients: 2 eggs and 3 tbsps of olive
How to apply it-
- Whisk two whole eggs and add three tablespoons of olive oil.
- Make sure you whisk the mixture thoroughly so that it combines well.
- Apply the mixture over the roots and hair and leave it on for one hour.
- Wash with cold water and mild shampoo (prefer sulfate-free).
5. Egg and Rice Flour Hair Mask
The mask contains ingredients, such as eggs, rice flour, milk, and Fuller’s earth, which work altogether to remove buildup, resulting in smooth and clean hair. It helps remove dirt, nourishes the hair, and repairs damage, giving it a straight and smooth look. Fatty acids in eggs and amino acids in rice flour help smoothen hair, providing a straight look with its regular use.
Ingredients: 1 egg white, 5 tablespoons of rice flour, one-fourth cup of milk, and one cup of Fuller's Earth.
How to apply it-
- Combine all the ingredients thoroughly to get a smooth mixture.
- Add more milk if it is too thick and fuller’s earth if the mixture is thin.
- Cover the hair with this hair mask and leave it on for approx one hour.
- Rinse with a mild shampoo.
6. Aloe Vera Hair Mask
Aloe vera has high water content and hydrating nutrients that are vital for the hair. It contains a proteolytic enzyme that works as a conditioner, resulting in silkier and shinier hair. The active enzymes in aloe vera penetrate deep into the hair, keeping it hydrated and smooth. It even helps reduce frizziness and curls.
Ingredients: a quarter cup of coconut oil or olive oil, 3 tbsps of fresh aloe vera gel
How to apply it-
- Warm coconut/olive oil and add fresh aloe vera gel to it.
- Apply the mixture over the scalp and strands.
- Leave it on for 40 minutes and wash it off with cool water and mild shampoo.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV or apple cider vinegar contains enzymes that help lower the scalp's pH level, providing sleek shine and clean hair. However, it works best when you wash the diluted form of ACV. Using it once a week helps one get rid of excess oil and dirt from the scalp and cuticles. Moreover, it provides a healthy and straighter look, making it a better solution to 'how to get straight hair naturally permanently.'
Ingredients: 2 tbsps of apple cider vinegar, 1 cup of water.
How to apply it-
- Prepare the mixture while adding two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to one cup of water.
- Wash your hair with mild shampoo and conditioner.
- Finally, pour the prepared mixture over the shampooed and conditioned hair as a final rinse.
- Avoid further rinsing the hair with water.
How To Straighten Hair At Home Without A Straightener?
When working with the solutions of how to straight hair at home, it is vital to consider these methods to get straight hair without the use of heat.
1. Try Hair Wrapping
The best way to get rid of any hair styling tools is hair wrapping. However, everyone cannot do the wrapping effectively. The wrapping techniques depend on the hair type, length, and texture. One requires long bobby pins and a satin scarf for effective hair wrapping. Follow these steps for a perfect wrap:
- Firstly, use a fine-toothed comb to separate the top hair.
- While holding the hair tight, bring the parted section to the opposite side.
- Repeat it in each section and finally wrap it with the satin scarf. Leave it overnight.
2. Use Hair Straightening Products
Experimenting with different hair straightening products can be a helpful start. Smoothening serums, shampoos, conditioners, hair sprays coat the hair strands. Further, it helps relax the curls while weighing them down.
3. Use Essential Oils
Essential oils, like argan oil, lavender oil, almond oil, macadamia oil, etc., are a better alternative to chemical products that penetrate deep into the follicles, making them look shinier, smooth, and straight. Essential oils work better after hair wrapping or using rollers and blow-drying. Focus on the hair ends to avoid frizziness.
4. Blowdry With the Cold Air
Studies show that using hot blow dryers damages hair shafts. Cool drying causes less damage than simply air drying. Use hair straightening serums before you blow-dry the hair for a straighter look.
Summing Up On How To Straight Hair At Home
Getting smooth and straight hair is no longer a mission impossible. Instead of experimenting with different chemicals and heating tools, try the methods of 'how to get straight hair naturally.'
Different ingredients and homemade hair masks provide straight hair without damaging the hair follicles or exposing the hair to frizz. However, it is essential to remain realistic when incorporating any style into your look.
How Do I Get Rid of Frizzy Hair?
Frizzy hair is highly responsible for making the hair look dull and damaged. The correct combination of hair care products and its proper technique helps reduce frizziness. Here are some ways you can prefer:
- Rinse your hair with cold water. It helps seal the hair cuticles, preventing its exposure to frizziness.
- Choose conditioning shampoo as it helps induce moisture to the hair follicles.
- Use a microfiber towel or any cotton t-shirt for drying hair.
- Use hair masks and serums that help tame the frizziness.
How Can I Get Silky Hair?
A healthy diet and correct hair care products help make the hair shinier. It helps retain the moisture in the hair, reducing its brittleness and exposure to dryness. You can follow these tips:
- Regularly oil your hair.
- Avoid shampooing daily.
- Use natural hair masks.
- Use natural hair conditioners (like diluted apple cider vinegar).
- Limit the use of hair dyes and chemicals.
Is Rice Good for Hair Straightening?
Yes, Rice is good for hair straightening. It is an excellent natural ingredient that helps hair make more manageable. Rice flour reduces the hair's surface tension, making it more elastic. Moreover, the starch content in rice provides a straight frame to the hair. However, it works best if combined with egg white and olive oil and used as a hair mask.
Does Milk and Honey Straighten Hair?
Keratin is the essential hair protein. Milk contains protein that provides strength to the hair follicles. Moreover, fat content helps smoothen and soften the follicles. Honey, on the other hand, acts as a natural moisturizer, adding sheen to one's hair. Moreover, it contains antioxidants that prevent hair damage while reducing the free radicals. So, yes, the combination of honey and milk help make the hair healthy and look straighter.
- Yoonhee Lee, Youn-Duk Kim, November 2011; Hair Shaft Damage from Heat and Drying Time of Hair Dryer - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/
- Young Kwan Sung, March 2006; The hair growth promoting effect of ascorbic acid 2-phosphate, a long-acting Vitamin C derivative - https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7364862