Nutritional Value of Green Chilli
Green chilli belongs to the family gene capsicum, a member of the nightshade family. Green chilli vitamins include vitamin C (109 mg), vitamin B6 (0.1mg), vitamin A (530 IU), and minerals like iron (0.5mg), copper (0.1mg), potassium (153 mg). It also contains amino acids making it a high nutritional value food.
Green chillies are rich in dietary fibres and also contain zero cholesterol.
As per studies, 100 gms of green chilli contains:
Total Fat - 0.1g
Sodium - 3.2mg
Magnesium - 11.2mg
Carbohydrates - 1.8g
Dietary Fiber - 0.7g
Glucose - 0.8g
Protein - 0.9g
Carbohydrate - 4.3g
Calcium - 8.1mg
Water content - 39.5g
Green Chilli Benefits
Let’s take a detailed look into the benefits of eating green chillies:
- The antioxidant properties of green chillies protect the body against harmful free radicals.
- Benefits of raw green chilli consumption include improved bowel movement and reduced risk of ulcers.
- It prevents cell damage and maintains cell health by reducing blood cholesterol levels.
- It plays a crucial role in protecting against severe heart diseases like heart attack and stroke as well as cancer.
- The high dietary fibre in green chillies makes them beneficial for people with diabetes.
- The rich iron content in green chillies helps in improving haemoglobin production and helps your body fight against fatigue and weakness.
- Contains calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium, which help maintain bone health.
- Vitamin B in green chilly participates in increasing the energy levels of the body by regulating protein and fat metabolism.
- The capsaicin in green chillies helps relieve the pain of joints by increasing endorphin levels and anti-arthritic properties.
- It stimulates the respiratory system and provides relief during cold or sinus infections.
- It also acts as an antidepressant and stabilises mood.
- It helps improve blood circulation.
- Beta carotene present in green chillies is good for eye health.
- Green chilli is rich in vitamin C, which increases metabolism; improved metabolism aids in weight loss.
Green Chilli Benefits for Skin
According to a study, the vitamin C in green chillies increases collagen synthesis in the skin, essential for healthy and glowing skin. In addition to that, it also contains vitamin E, which fights signs of skin ageing.
Moreover, the antibacterial properties in the phytonutrients of green chillies help manage acne and blemishes of the skin.
Green Chilli Uses
Green chilli is widely consumed by people daily in many forms. Be it raw, fried, roasted, or as a spice. It contains the chemical compound capsaicin, which brings a hot taste and has natural benefits. It can aid in managing sinus issues and relieve pain in the body.
Side Effects of Green Chilli
There are some disadvantages of green chilli consumption for some individuals. Therefore, one should avoid using it beyond their tolerance level.
- Green chillies have a burning flavour due to capsaicin which binds with pain receptors, leading to a burning sensation.
- Regular consumption may cause numbness to pain, affecting your consciousness towards experiencing and acknowledging pain.
- Consuming high amounts may cause pain and inflammation.
- Some people may experience intestinal distress, abdominal pain, painful diarrhoea, and a burning sensation in their gut due to overconsumption of green chillies.
Green Chilli or Red Chilli - Which is Better?
Both the varieties have their own share of benefits, but comparatively, green chilli benefits far outweigh red chilli health benefits. Studies have proved that green chillies promote overall health and well-being in more than one way. Red chillies are often consumed in powdered form, reducing their water content from over 39.6g to 0.4g., making them less healthy as compared to the green ones.
Is Green Chilli Good for Health?
Yes, Green chillies contain fewer calories, speed up your metabolism and help maintain a healthy digestive system.
The antioxidants and vitamins in green chilli also provide multiple health benefits. They protect your body against free radicals and strengthen your immune system.