As per the study by the Journal of the Americal Academy of Dermatology, 40% of women suffer hair loss by the age of 50 years. Hair loss leads to baldness. Fish oil for hair is one of the most effective methods to prevent hair loss due to its high Omega 3 content.
What Is Fish Oil (Omega 3)?
Fish oil is extracted from oily fishes like tuna, mackerel, salmon, and sardines. It is one of the popular dietary supplements as it is high in Omega 3. It is an essential fatty acid that helps the healthy functioning of the heart, brain, skin, and eyes. It is not produced by the body, so it must be taken through a diet.
According to a study, Fish oil is the best source of two types of Omega 3, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Both DHA and EPA reduce the risk of heart infections, fight inflammation, and relieve symptoms of long-term diseases like rheumatoid arthritis. They also reduce cholesterol levels, protect against sun damage, and help in age-related degenerative changes.
The benefits of Omega 3 for hair and skin can delay the signs of ageing. Not only this, fish oil has many essential vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin D, selenium, and retinol. It is available in the market in the form of capsules or as liquids.
Fish Oil Benefits for Hair
Many people take fish oil supplements for healthy hair. As per a study, women who take fish oil along with antioxidants have increased hair density. Fish oil benefits the hair follicles by increasing the blood flow to the follicles, leading to an increased supply of nutrients. This action will promote hair growth. This is also proved in a study, where women who applied fish oil had more hair growth.
Here are 10 fish oil benefits for hair.
1. Promotes Hair Growth
Fish oil improves the blood supply to the hair follicles. It enhances the supply of all essential nutrients, leading to hair growth.
2. Enhances Growth Cycle
It also prevents greying of hair and improves the hair growth cycle over time. You can see the changes after taking fish oil capsules for 3 months.
3. Improves Hair Density
Omega 3 can improve hair density, which reverses the symptoms of baldness.
4. Increases Thickness of Hair Shafts
Fish oil for hair thickness works by increasing the thickness of the hair shaft. As per a study, women who took fish oil supplements for 6 months developed thicker hair. It results in thick individual hair strands over time, which gives the appearance of more hair on the head.
5. Balances Sebum Production on the Scalp
You can regulate the amount of oil the scalp produces by taking fish oil capsules. The balance of the sebum (oil) production on the scalp will contribute to reduced inflammation and scalp irritation.
6. Improves Lustre and Shine
As hair follicles receive more nutrients, hair health improves, leading to lustrous, shiny and healthy hair.
7. Prevents Infections
Fish oil supplements also prevent scalp infections and hair follicle infections that can lead to hair loss.
8. Reduces Scalp Irritation and Dandruff
It reduces itchy scalp and dandruff by regulating the oil production on the scalp.
9. Nourishes Dry Scalp
Omega 3 nourishes and conditions a dry, flaky scalp. It makes hair stronger and healthier.
10. Prevents Hair Loss and Thinning
Fish oil capsules benefits for hair include preventing hair loss, thinning of hair, and baldness. They also repair the damage of hair that occurs due to the daily use of chemicals or heating appliances.
How to Use Fish Oil for Hair
There are various methods to use fish oil for hair. Depending upon your tolerance and choice, you can choose one of the following ways -
- Topical Application: You can directly apply fish oil to the scalp, skin and hair roots. But, be aware that it has a bad odour.
- Diet: You can incorporate fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, and tuna into your diet. They are a rich source of fish oil.
- Supplements: You can take fish oil capsules for hair growth. It is an easier and more pleasant way to get the benefits of fish oil.
How Much Fish Oil (Omega 3) Should You Take?
Depending upon your health status, a consulting doctor will advise you to take fish oil supplements. Although, in general, up to 5000 mg of Omega 3 supplements can be safely taken daily.
Fish oil supplements should be taken for at least 12 weeks to achieve health benefits, up to a 6-gram daily dose for adults. Fish oil products typically provide 180-465 mg of EPA and 120-375 mg of DHA per capsule.
Precautions While Taking Fish Oil
Though fish oil supplements are safe, they can have mild side effects in some people. If you consume fish oil of more than 3 grams daily, you may face an increased risk of bleeding. The other possible side effects of fish oil include:
- Bad smelling breath and sweat
- Fishy taste
- Nose bleed
Fish oil can prevent blood clotting, so it is not suitable for
- People with bleeding disorders
- Patients who are on anti-blood-clotting medicines like warfarin
- Individuals with high blood pressure
- Women taking contraceptive pills
Summing Up on Fish Oil for Hair
Fish oil contains DHA and EPA omega-3 fatty acids, which are required for the healthy functioning of the body. Fish oil promotes hair growth, nourishes, conditions the hair follicle, and also prevents hair loss. You can directly apply fish oil for hair growth or take fish oil capsules. It is best to consult a doctor before taking fish oil supplements.
- Glynis Ablon, 2015; A 3-month, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study evaluating the ability of an extra-strength marine protein supplement to promote hair growth and decrease shedding in women with self-perceived thinning hair - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25883641/
- Ahsène Cheniti, Sophie Connétable, Jaunary 2015; Effect of a nutritional supplement on hair loss in women - https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25573272/
- Omega-3 Supplements: In Depth - https://www.nccih.nih.gov/health/omega3-supplements-in-depth
- Famenini Shannon, Slaught Christa, October 2015; Demographics of women with female pattern hair loss and the effectiveness of spironolactone therapy - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4573453/