Since ancient times, the Ash Gourd has been valued for its medicinal properties and is well documented in Ayurvedic texts. The benefits of this ancient art remain undeniable even today. It is widely used in popular local cuisine throughout India and to alleviate illnesses of the stomach, liver, and skin.
Let’s deep dive to learn more about its benefits and some of the most asked questions about this green vegetable.
Ash Gourd Juice Nutrition Facts
As per research, nearly 96% of the edible portion of ash gourd juice, including the pulp and peel, comprises total soluble solids. 100 g of ash gourd comprises 12 g protein, 2.9 g fiber, 3.96 g carbohydrates, 0.6 mg zinc, 11.8 mg iron, and 30 mg calcium. The fat component in ash gourd juice is zero.
Moreover, ash gourd juice has 12.60% antioxidants, 4.60% alcohol, and 1.67% flavonoids. 100 g of ash gourd also contains plenty of vitamins. It has 0.04 mg vitamin B1, 0.14 mg vitamin B2, 0.5 mg vitamin B3, 0.17 mg vitamin B5 and 17.2 mg vitamin C.
Benefits of Ash Gourd Juice
The following are some of the benefits of ash gourd juice:
1) Aids in treating liver disorders:- According to research, ash gourd has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that help in fat and bile excretion from the body, thereby helping treat liver disorders.
2) Promotes heart health:- The high fiber content in ash gourd juice helps lower the bad cholesterol level in the body and prevents cardiovascular diseases.
3) Aids in the treatment of nervous disorders:- There are several bioactive and therapeutic compounds present in ash gourd juice like glycosides, phenolics, and sterols that are beneficial in treating epilepsy and other nervous disorders.
4) Relaxes muscles:- The pulp of ash gourd fruit has muscle relaxant and antioxidant properties that calm the muscles. Therefore, drinking ash gourd juice is effective in treating insomnia and anxiety.
5) Helps in fighting the common cold, pneumonia:- According to research, the ash gourd comprises various phytochemicals like carotenoids and peptides. They serve as antibiotics and help in treating infections like the common cold, flu, and pneumonia.
6) Aids wound healing and treats hemorrhage:- Another health benefit of ash gourd juice is that it helps in the healing of wounds and also treats hemorrhage or internal bleeding. As per research, the juice of ash gourd leaves has a cooling effect on bruises.
7) Helps in detoxification of kidneys:- Ash gourd juice has detoxification properties that are beneficial in treating urinary tract infections and detoxification of kidneys. A study done on albino rats shows that ash gourds can reduce renal damage or kidney injury. It also helps prevent kidney stones.
8) Aids in treating respiratory diseases:- Ash gourd is also beneficial in treating respiratory infections like cough, asthma, and bronchitis. The ash gourd juice helps in loosening mucus from the respiratory tract and provides relief from breathing issues.
Ash Gourd Benefits for Brain
As per various studies, iron deficiency in the body can negatively impact the functioning and development of the brain. Ash gourd juice is a rich source of iron that prevents brain disorders. The pulp of ash gourd fruit has anti-inflammatory and anti-depressants properties that aid in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. The bioactive compounds in ash gourds like phenolics and sterol also help in treating epilepsy.
According to research, ash gourd juice provides antioxidants to the human brain and liver, keeping them healthy.
Ash Gourd Juice for Weight Loss
As per research, drinking a glass of ash gourd juice regularly is beneficial for weight loss. Ash gourd has zero percent fat, a low amount of carbohydrates, and plenty of fiber. It also has a high amount of water and fewer calories. Therefore, it helps in weight loss.
Ash Gourd Benefits for Diabetes
Research suggests that ash gourd is widely used for controlling blood sugar levels. Since ash gourd juice has low carbohydrate content, it is beneficial for people who require low sugar diets. According to a study conducted on people with type 2 diabetes, drinking ash gourd juice helped in reducing the blood glucose level by 42% in 21 days.
Ash Gourd Juice During Pregnancy
As per research, nutrients like fiber, protein, zinc, and vitamins B1, B2, and B3 are essential for the growth and development of a child during pregnancy. Since ash gourd is a rich source of nutrients, drinking ash gourd juice during pregnancy is helpful for both mother and child.
Ash Gourd Juice Recipe - How to Make Ash Gourd Juice
Here’s a simple and effective way to make Ash gourd juice -
- The first step is to wash the ash gourd. Discard the seeds and dissect the soft centre of the ash gourd. Peel the skin off the ash gourd and dice it into ½ inch pieces.
- Blend diced ash gourd with water until smooth.
- In a large bowl, pour the juice through the fine-mesh strainer and press the pulp with a spoon to extract all the juice.
- You can also add lime juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Stir well and serve immediately.
Tips/Variations for Winter Melon/Ash Gourd Juice
- You should consume winter melon juice within 15 minutes of its preparation otherwise, it will lose its nutritional value.
- If you prefer, you can simply drink the ash gourd juice without adding lime juice, salt, or pepper.
- To change things up, add ginger and mint to the blender.
Side Effects of Drinking Ash Gourd Juice
Even though the ash gourd provides plenty of health benefits to the body, it might not be suitable for everyone. Ash gourd juice has anti-nutrient elements like oxalates, tannin, and phytate that prevent the absorption of healthy nutrients in the body, such as calcium. Moreover, ash gourds have a cooling effect inside the body. Therefore, if you have a high fever or your body temperature fluctuates frequently, it is best to avoid drinking ash gourd juice.
Summing Up on Benefits of Ash Gourd Juice
Ash gourds are low-calorie fruits rich in water, fibre, and other nutrients. Traditionally, it is used to prevent or treat a variety of ailments and to flavour dishes.
Additionally, Ash gourd is believed to help digestion, reduce inflammation, and prevent infections, ulcers, and type 2 diabetes.
If you have a fever or if your temperature fluctuates frequently, it is best to avoid this juice.
Can We Drink Ash Gourd Juice Daily?
Yes, you can drink Ash Gourd juice every day, preferable early morning. This juice can absorb all the toxins, germs and contamination that may have accumulated in one body over the course of a day. Those suffering from asthma or bronchitis should avoid it.
Does Ash Gourd Juice Increase Weight?
Ash Gourd is low in fibre and high in water, which may improve digestion and help you lose weight. It also contains soluble fibre, which slows down digestion and makes you feel fuller for longer periods.
Can We Drink Ash Gourd in Winter?
Yes, you can consume ash gourd any time of the year.
Is Ash Gourd Good for Pcos?
Yes, Ash gourd is beneficial for PCOS. PCOS is also usually accompanied by elevated insulin levels that in turn causes the ovaries to produce more androgen, thus causing symptoms like irregular periods. Ash Gourd is known to bring down blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
How Long Can You Store Ash Gourd Juice?
According to a study, you can store Ash Gourd juice for a period of up to eight months. It should be preserved in the refrigerator.